In 1894, the members of the Elkridge Fox Hunting Club challenged the members of Green Spring Valley Hounds to a timber race: the first Hunt Cup. Although the first race was limited to members of the two clubs, the next year the race was opened to all fox hunting clubs in Maryland, and in 1903, members from recognized clubs throughout the United States and Canada were invited to participate.
In 1922, Worthington Valley became the permanent home of the four mile, twenty-two fence racecourse. Since then, the size and spectacle of the race has grown as fans bring their friends and families for an afternoon of tailgating and picnicking on the hill than overlooks the racecourse. Join the crowd of spectators as they stand on the same hill that their grandfathers did and watch as the top equine athletes compete for the Maryland Hunt Cup.
If you are interested in learning more about the Maryland Hunt Cup, visit the Books and Video page to purchase a history of this great race.
Maryland Hunt Cup Association
P.O. Box 2342
Westminster MD 21158